Eventually, everyone made their way from cocktail hour to their seats. To kick off the reception, my parents and Brian's parents were announced into the ballroom...
...followed by our amazing bridal party (including a ring bearer with some hilarious dance moves.)
Then, it was our turn...for the first time as Mr. and Mrs.!
We walked into the ballroom and straight into our first dance, to Brad Paisley's "Then." This was a part of our reception that I was super nervous about; we had taken a couple of ballroom dance lessons over Spring Break, but hadn't been together very much to practice. In the end, though, everything was fine and it felt like it was just us out there together. During our dance, we played a slideshow of pictures from throughout our relationship. Secretly, I was trying to make sure people weren't just staring at us the whole time we were dancing; I think it worked!
After the dances came the toasts. First from my Dad, who gave us some heartfelt marriage advice and closed with the poem he had written that morning.
Brian's best man, Pat, talked about their relationship throughout their time at West Point together. He called Brian a "leader of men," which I thought was such an incredible compliment, and talked about how Brian is defined most of all by his faith.
And my sister and maid of honor, Jennifer, toasted to our new married life together, lovingly hated on my blog, and begrudgingly admitted that she thinks I'm super cool (I'm paraphrasing, but that was the jist. ;)
After a prayer from our pastor, it was time to eat!
Brian and I quickly took a couple bites of food (which was delicious)
before we made our way around to all of the tables of guests. We
finished our mingling just in time for the party to start!
My main goal in planning the reception activities was to get most of the
"formal" things out of the way first so that the rest of the night was
free for dancing and socializing. After dinner, we went straight to the
good part...dessert! Brian and I agreed beforehand that there would be
no cake-smashing, and although I had a brief second of doubt, he stuck
to his word. We cut our cake to James Taylor's "How Sweet It Is (To Be
Loved By You)." I'm still kind of mad that that was the only bite of
cake I got. I guess I did stuff a whole coconut cupcake into my mouth
later in the night, but I was starving so I'm not sure I even tasted it. All that stuff they say about not eating at your wedding? 100% true.
While the caterers cut the rest of the cake to serve to our guests, I tossed my bouquet!
My sorority sister, Megan (who is coming to visit me in April!), caught my toss bouquet. When I went up to hug her, she whispered, "Is there a garter?!" I think she was completely relieved when I said no. :)
My sorority, Phi Mu, has a tradition of singing to the bride on her wedding day. So, my girls unexpectedly sent our DJ one of our songs, "Picture a Girl," and they surrounded me to sing. I am so lucky to have found lifelong friends in these girls. After the song, they presented me with our sorority's flower, the rose carnation. My flower girl, Zoƫ, joined in, too. Future Phi Mu? :)
Only two wedding posts left before I'm officially done our recap....reception fun and our sparkler exit!






















No comments:
Post a Comment